Hi, I’m Don; I’m the founder of FindTruePeace.com.
I’m also a member of the American Association of Christian Counselors, the International Christian Coaching Association, and an Abuse Survivor Advocate. I offer broken Christians help as a health & wellness Life Coach Board Certified with the International Board of Christian Care.
For over 35 years, I have helped Christian adults affected by childhood abuse, to find a better life beyond anxiety, addictions, anger, depression, perfectionism, and poor self worth.
I am also the founder and former president of SoulCare Research, and the developer of the counseling tools, HEARhelp and P.R.A.Y., used by Christian counselors worldwide.
I have also served as a pastor for over 15 years, as well as a drug & alcohol rehabilitation instructor.
My ministry is a holistic approach (soul and body) to helping broken Christians find emotional, physical & spiritual wellness, along with discovering God’s purpose for their life.
I hold advanced certifications in health & wellness, PTSD, complex trauma, stress assessment & treatment, grief, sexual abuse, personality assessment, neuroscience in trauma survivors, and assessment & practice of spiritual gifts as presented in the Bible.
I am a husband to one wife for over 44 years, a father of four, a grandfather, and a Christian of 40+ years.
Along with traditional course & exam training, I also received more than 20 years of rabbinic-style education & mentorship (akin to a trade apprenticeship) with studies & practice in pastoral counseling & care, mentoring, coaching & discipleship, bible & theology, and ministry management under the direction of professional ministers, professors, and counselors. I am especially indebted to:
- Rev. Thomas D. Sterbens
- Rev. Steven L. Rogers
- Dr. Dale Denham, Ph.D.
- Dr. J.R. Buskey, Ph.D.
- Dr. David A. Seamands
- Dr. Mels Carbonell
- PTSD, Complex Trauma & Stress Assessment, Treatment: Laurel Shaler, Ph.D. & Heather Davediuk Gingrich, Ph.D.
- Sexual Abuse: Diane Langberg, Ph.D., Shannon Ethridge, M.A., Heather Gingrich, Ph.D.Biblical Foundation for Wellness: Tim Clinton, Ed.D., and Judi Quilici-Timmcke, Ph.D.
- Health Wellness Assessment: Catherine Hart Weber, Ph.D.
- Nutrition: Judi Quilici-Timmcke, Ph.D
- Physical Fitness: Judi Quilici-Timmcke, Ph.D
- Psychology of Weight Management: Linda Mintle, Ph.D
- Stress: Archibald Hart, Ph.D., and Catherine Hart Weber, Ph.D.
- Sleep: Archibald Hart, Ph.D.
- Brain Health: Daniel Amen, MD
- Pain: Marian Eberly, Ph.D.
- Men’s Health: David Murphy, Ph.D.
- Women’s Health: Catherine Hart Weber, Ph.D., Linda Mintle, Ph.D., Georgia Shaffer, M.A., Jennifer Cisney, M.A.
- Health Coaching: Lynda Clements, Jennifer Cisney, M.A.
- Old Testament Survey: Moody Bible Institute, multiple professors
- Old & New Testament Survey: Dr. R.C. Sproul, Ph.D.
- New Testament Structure & Story: Dr. Lynn Cohick, Ph.D.
- Theology Proper & Christian Philosophy: Dr. R.C. Sproul, Ph.D.
- Pastoral Counseling Foundations & Practices: Dr. C. Gary Barnes, Ph.D.
- Biblical Soul Care: Dr. Tim Clinton, Ph.D.
- Pastoral Counseling: Dr. J.R. Buskey, Ph.D.
- Caring for People God’s Way: Dr. Tim Clinton, Ph.D.
- Human Behavior & Personality Temperaments: Dr. Mels Carbonell, Ph.D.
- DISC Personality Assessment Proficiency: Dr. Mels Carbonell, Ph.D.
- Spiritual Gifts Assessment: Dr. Mels Carbonell, Ph.D.
- Personality & Spiritual Gifts Theory: Dr. Mels Carbonell, Ph.D.
- Breaking Free: AACC, multiple instructors
- Addiction & Recovery: AACC, multiple instructors
- Stress & Trauma Care: AACC, multiple instructors
- Health, Wellness & Nutrition: AACC, multiple instructors
- Marriage Works: AACC, multiple instructors
- Emotional Damage & Healing: Dr. David Seamands
- Truth Encounter: Dr. J.R. Buskey, Ph.D.
- Transformation Prayer: Dr. Ed Smith, Ph.D.
- Interpersonal Neurobiology – The Nine Domains of Integration: Curt Thompson, M.D.
- Understanding the Brain – God’s Design, Mind, Renewal, and Neuroplasticity: Fred DiBlasio, Ph.D.
- The Brain and Intimacy – Is it Romance or Just Chemicals?: Jared Pingleton, Psy.D.
- The Neurology of Grief – The Impact of Loss on the Brain: Linda Mintle, Ph.D.
- Grief, Health, and Well-being – Comorbidity and Mental Disorders: Linda Mintle, Ph.D.
- Why God? Spiritual Assessment with the Bereaved: Kevin Ellers, D.Min.
- The Neurobiology of Childhood Trauma, Grief and Loss – Strategies and Interventions: – Daniel Sweeney, Ph.D.
- Restoring the Shattered Self – Treatment of Complex Trauma: Heather Gingrich, Ph.D.
- PTSD, Complex Trauma and Stress Assessment & Treatment: American Association of Christian Counselors, International Board for Christian Care, International Christian Coaching Association
- Sexual Abuse: American Association of Christian Counselors, International Board for Christian Care, International Christian Coaching Association
- Grief, Loss and the Brain: American Association of Christian Counselors, International Board for Christian Care, International Christian Coaching Association
- Neurology of Emotions & Relationships: American Association of Christian Counselors, International Board for Christian Care, International Christian Coaching Association
- DISC Personality Assessment: Advanced Certification, Uniquely You Organization
- Spiritual Gifts Assessment: Advanced Certification, Uniquely You Organization
- Human Behavior Consultant: Advanced Certification, Uniquely You Organization
- Christian Health & Wellness Life Coach: Board Certified, American Association of Christian Counselors, International Board for Christian Care, International Christian Coaching Association
For 35+ years, I have studied sacred scripture, theology, biblical counseling, coaching, and discipleship. I base my ministry & practice upon that foundation. Thus, I believe the Bible holds solutions to our greatest needs.
I also believe that researchers & practitioners have succeeded in understanding a great deal of how the mind works; we call this Psychology.
Psychology has some insights into humans that also align with Scripture and some that do not.
I also believe that Psychology has devised some diagnostic instruments that can be helpful, as well.
Though I believe that Psychology has some valuable insights, instruments & processes, I do not operate from a humanistic worldview.
My worldview includes: Theology Proper, Systematic Theology, Practical Theology, Biblical Psychology, Human Psychology, Human Physical Health
- Theology Proper is the study of God, Himself. It focuses on knowing what we can know about God as revealed in sacred Scripture and in His creation.
- Systematic Theology summarizes the Bible, Church history, nature, and Christian philosophy into a Biblical worldview about a topic.
- Practical Theology is the core beliefs that drive behavior to accomplish God’s purposes in human life.
- Biblical Psychology is understanding that the doctrines of salvation and sanctification do not operate solely in a physical, tangible, bodily sense. They are unavoidably psychological, and nonetheless theological.
- Human Psychology (man-discovered truth) is what we developed in understanding our inner human nature. I believe portions of Psychology are in agreement with sacred Scripture.
- Human Physical Health (man-discovered truth) is of use because God created us integrated beings; what affects the body may affect the mind and vice versa.
In my mission to broken Christians, I use a combination of Scriptural truth along with well-known man-discovered truth.
When I say, “man-discovered truth,” I mean documented facts regarding the brain & body sciences, such as personality, emotion, intellect, sleep, nutrition, exercise & human health.
I always suggest a person consults their professional healthcare provider when we are discussing the health of their body & mind.
Private Mentoring: 15+ years
In-office & FindTruePeace.com
Founder/President: 5+ years
Staff – Counseling & Ministries Management: 15+ years
Harvest Temple, Largo FL., Covenant Community Ministries, Ft. Myers, FL., New Hope Church, Kodak, TN.
Instructor/Counselor: 2 years
Mercy House, Men’s Rehab, Sevierville, TN
International Christian Coaching Association (ICCA)
Association of Biblical Counselors (ABC)
American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC)
Biblical Counseling Coalition (BCC)
Christian Counseling Education Foundation (CCEF)
Uniquely You Organization
Christian Missionary & Alliance, Reformed, Presbyterian, Assemblies of God, Church of God, Non-denominational, Roman Catholic
Wisdom, Knowledge, Discernment, Exhortation, Teaching, Leadership, Administration
My focus is upon adult Christians with a troubled marriage or adult single Christians living with specific problems. What is typical for many spouses and singles is that they suffered trauma as a child, often from direct or indirect abuse, and have not yet properly resolved their past; I call them broken Christians. It is my passion to see them become whole and finally experience the Father’s love, Son’s redemption, and Spirit’s power to discover God’s purpose for their life.
To accomplish my help to broken Christians, I have developed a process that I call soulSTEPS.
soulSTEPS are three steps that a broken Christian will take to finally find peace, passion & purpose.
soulSTEP 1 is soulHOPE — Peace for My Soul
soulSTEP 2 is soulFOCUS — Passion for My God
soulSTEP 3 is soulPURPOSE — Purpose for My Life
AUTHOR – BOOKS
Upcoming book trilogy designed to help broken Christians, 1) lose the pain of their past, 2) find the love of their God, and 3) plan the path of their future.
- soulHOPE – Lose the Pain of My Past & Find Peace at Last – Help for Christians Affected by Alcoholics, Addicts or Abusers
- soulFOCUS – Experience Anew God’s Love for You
- soulPURPOSE – Why On Earth Am I Here?
AUTHOR – COURSES
- Why On Earth Am I Here?
- Godly ApPARENT
- 90-Minute Marriage Tune-up
- MARRIED: one wife, 40+ years
- CHILDREN: one adult daughter, three adult sons, two daughters-in-law
- GRANDCHILDREN: one granddaughter, two grandsons
- MASCOT: Elly (Bengal/Domestic Feline)
- AGE: 60+
- HOBBIES: Writing, Reading, Photography, Music, A/V Production, Technology, Film
- FAVORITES: Beach, Caribbean Cruises, Forests, Laughing
I was raised in a family business and later achieved my diploma in Marketing Communications from Ashworth College. I have also been a husband & father for 40+ years. In my early years, we had a large family that I could not support with a typical ministry salary alone. Thus, like many small-church pastors, I functioned as a bi-vocational minister for many years. Along with ministry, I worked in the private sector as the Director of Communications & Marketing for a construction firm. I also served in government overseeing public relations as a Public Information Specialist. Later in life, I added additional training to focus my experience & knowledge to become a board certified Christian coach and advocate for survivors of abuse.